Dear Breastfeeding and Health Advocates,
As 2018 comes to an end, The Sacramento Breastfeeding Coalition takes a moment to look back our achievements and express our gratitude for your support and participation in making this year so successful:
· Along with the California Breastfeeding Coalition, SBC hosted the 2018 Mother-Baby Friendly Workplace Awards at the State Capitol recognizing local employers for their leadership to support mothers who return back to the workplace.
· SBC hosted the Sacramento County Fair Mommy Lounge that provided a quiet space for over 70 mothers to nurse their babies and have a respite from the busy fair activities
· During Black Breastfeeding Week, our African American Breastfeeding Sub-Committee presented Nourishing the Sacramento Community Family through Diversity, Education and Collaboration at Sierra Health Foundation with over 70 healthcare professionals and community advocates in attendance
· Our Fall Strategic Planning Meeting, facilitated by Dr. Jane Heinig, Director of the UCD Human Lactation Center, helped us to clarify our goals for the next 4 years and prioritize the measures we will undertake to help us attain these goals
· In conjunction with neighboring coalitions we hosted the 7th Annual Holiday Human Milk Drive benefiting the Mother’s Milk Bank of San Jose. This Regional Milk bank provides precious “Liquid Gold” to NICU’s through California and 13 neighboring states. To date we collected over 7000 ounces of human milk, from a total of 20 area donors.
As we look ahead to 2019, our continued success depends upon your sustained support. With that in mind, please consider making an end-of-year donation to our cause. Please note that all donations are tax-deductible. Donate at: http://www.sacbreastfeeding.org/donate/
Wrap up your holiday shopping at smile.amazon.com/ch/94-3308334 and AmazonSmile donates to our Coalition (note: listed as “Breast Feeding Coalition of Sacramento”).
Lastly I extend a heartfelt thank you to our current Board members and subcommittee chairs for all their dedication of time and talent, including VP and Membership Coordinator Debbie Albert; Treasurer Laura Osborne; Secretary Lisa Mathews; Media Coordinator Jewel Mohr; Political Liaison Heather Conway; Health Care Liaisons Jennifer Pettus and Samantha Slaughter; Community Partnership Coordinators Felicia Byrd and Mallory Engel; African American Sub-Committee current Chair Jackie-Ansley Washington and former Co-chair, Felicia Byrd; and Subcommittee Acting Secretary Amalia Saavedra . The New Year brings an opportunity for others to consider taking on leadership positions in our coalition. We will provide more information on our upcoming Board elections in January 2019.
Until then, please have a wonderful and memorable holiday season with your loved ones.
Jeannette Newman-Velez RD, MPH, IBCLC
Sacramento Breastfeeding Coalition President 2014-2018